Sunday, October 3, 2010

Adobo de Campesino

Yummy Magazine's September 2010 issue had six adobo recipes, and I have cooked and shared two - Adobo sa Buko and Adobo sa Dilaw. The three other recipes were too difficult for me to do, so I am now about to share the last of the adobo recipes from the magazine:

261/265 c2 - Adobo de Campesino


Adobo de Campesino
{serves 4}

Ingredients:
  • 8 cloves garlic
  • 3 tablespoons annatto oil
  • 700 grams pork belly (liempo) or leg (pigue), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup yard-long beans (sitaw), sliced into 1-inch lengths
How to Cook:
  • Saute garlic in annatto oil. Add pork and stir-fry until brown.
  • Add vinegar and simmer; don't stir until vinegar boils and releases its acidic odor. Add pepper, fish sauce, and salt and continue simmering over low heat until pork is tender.
  • Before serving, ladle out the pork into a serving dish. Toss beans in the pan and cook until tender. Add beans to the pork and serve together on a platter.
Points to Consider:
  • To make annatto oil, heat oil in a pan and add annatto seeds (1:1 ratio). Simmer for a few minutes until oil is reddish-orange in color. Strain and discard the seeds.
  • According to the magazine, you can also use wing beans (singarilyas).
Following the look of the dish in the magazine, I simmered the dish long enough for it to be oily-saucy. Of course, as a person who is trying to lose weight, I spooned out much of the oil, so I could enjoy the sauce more. I really loved this adobo - especially having the taste of sitaw and pork together. I have always been a big fan of the sitaw, and I think this is the new take to the adobo that I would cook every now and then.

For someone who is very accustomed to eating adobo with soysauce, trying the three adobo dishes from the magazine was a great change. Testing recipes and savoring the yummy goodness of my own cooking will always be a great feeling, and I am now into testing new recipes.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}