Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An Impromptu Feast

Last Friday (10 Sep) was a holiday, so the family wanted to go to the mall and do some grocery shopping, but around 9am, Aunt Mary (mom's younger sister) asked if we have something planned because she wanted to ask her daughter to deliver some seafoods from Pangasinan. Aunt Mary's husband works as a caretaker in one of the fish cages in Bolinao, so not only can he get free milkfishes (which is one of the benefits), he could also get some other seafoods at a much cheaper prices.

Mom always look forward to some fresh seafoods, so she canceled all our plans. When Anic arrived, she had fresh milkfishes (2 huge ones), one parrot fish, and some cooked seafoods. Mom was happy! She wanted to serve some for lunch, but because I am not a fan of those "some," I decided to cook something else. For lunch we had these feast:

Oysters

Sauteed Oysters. Mom cooked this one by sauteeing all ingredients and seasoned until cooked a bit. The oysters had juices, which mom loved. I don't eat oysters, but I tried one. Obviously, I didn't like it, but mom and brother couldn't get enough of it.

Steamed Crab

Steamed Crabs and Shrimps. The shrimps were under the crabs, in case you can't see it. My mom's siblings know my mom loves these three seafoods (including the oyster) so whenever they can, they send some to her. I just let my mom eat as much as she wanted - after all it was still lunch.

Chicken Adobo with Potatoes

Chicken Adobo with Potatoes. I cooked this one, because I knew Anic was a bit tired eating seafoods already. Although I have "perfected" my chicken adobo, I still had qualms about serving my adobo to other people, so I used the Mama Sita's adobo mix for this one. It was my first time to try it, and it was actually good! I still love my own adobo... but when in doubt, I do recommend the Mama Sita mix. Hmmm... I might try the McCormick, too, just to have something to compare. :)

Although I don't eat crabs and oysters, I was still thankful for the generosity and blessings that came our way. For dinner, we cooked Guinataang Kalabasa at Sitaw (Squash and String Beans in Coconut Sauce) and added the remaining crabs, just so we could have some vegetables. I loved this day. I am glad that even if I am eating less than usual, I still don't miss the good taste of life.

Thanks so much for the seafoods, Aunt Mary!

*** Jenn ***

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}