Sunday, September 19, 2010

Adobo sa Buko

Before I cooked the Resto-Style Fried Chicken, this was what I hoped to cooked for that day. I knew the coconut vendor pass by the neighborhood every now and then, and that time I was hoping he'd pass by, but he didn't. The next day, I was still very much interested in cooking this dish (a friend of mine told me she got to taste this once and found it delicious), that I decided to walk to the market (which is right outside the neighborhood) and cook this one for my lunch. This was the second recipe I have tried from the Yummy Magazine September 2010 issue.



Adobo sa Buko

Adobo sa Buko
{Serves 4}

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo quarter cut chicken (thigh and leg)
  • 5 pandan leaves, washed and knotted
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut water
  • 1 bulb garlic, smashed
  • 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • peppercorns to taste
  • meat from one coconut, scraped out using a spoon
  • salt to taste
Directions:
  • Clean chicken well. Lay knotted pandan on the bottom of a nonreactive or stainless steel pot (do not use aluminum or copper pots).
  • Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the coconut meat. Boil for three minutes.
  • Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not move the chicken around too much so as not to tear the skin.
  • Continue cooking the sauce until desired consistency is achieved. Add coconut meat in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Adjust seasoning with salt.
The chicken on the picture on the magazine looked a little brownish, while mine looked pale, and the picture had a thick sauce, while mine was a bit runny. Although the look of the outcome didn't match, I still liked the dish. The flavors of the coconut water and pandan mellowed the strong taste of the vinegar, and the dish tasted like a fusion of chicken tinola and adobo. It was a really good dish and I had a great lunch that day.

*** Jenn ***

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}