Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fishballs

Before I go on with my entry, I would like to apologize for always moving the food blog. I tried to find a suitable home for my gastronomic experiences, and I thought I have found a great home in the Friendster blogs, but due to limited services, I just found myself packing up and here I am, hoping this would be my permanent home - food wise.

Fishballs

Fishballs

This week's LaPiS theme is "on a stick." I actually did this entry upon waking up this morning, and decided on the fishballs thinking my brother would post a barbecue picture. I already posted barbecue for the "grill" theme, and thinking my brother had a different post, I pushed through with this.

Anyway, the fishballs are me and my brother's favorite street foods. Anywhere we go, if we see a fishball cart, we would surely buy some. Health threats made our dad ask us once to just buy raw fishballs and cook it here at home, but the problem was that we didn't know how to cook the sauce. Before, I was able to create a great tasting sauce using the corn flour our Aunt Bing gave when she got home from Taiwan, but of course, when we ran out of the flour, we're back to dipping our fishballs in vinegar.

Just sometime ago, brother came up with a great dip, which we use now. What we do is combine a tablespoon each of sugar, ketchup, lechon sauce (we use Mang Tomas), and a dash of cayenne pepper. Of course, you will also use cornstarch and water, but we go by our instincts as far as the last two ingredients are concerned. The key there is to make the sauce thick enough to cling to the fishballs.

The idea for the shots were taken from Food Magazine. In their last issue, I saw a picture of fishballs on a stick using a big potato as the base, but we didn't have potatoes the time I cooked this, so I used the available vegetable in our fridge - the sayote. Of course, brother cooked the veggie soon after, because oxidation might turn the pokes brown.

This blog is still under construction. I thank you for dropping by here, and no worries, this is the permanent food blog. If you added me in your blog roll, please do edit the link one last time. Thanks a lot.

*** Jenn ***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh...I miss fish balls and that sweet and spicy sauce!!! Yummmy!

I remember being pregnant and craving for these and just throwing caution to the wind just to satisfy the craving... oops, did I just incriminate myself? Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, i second Pinky too. I love fishballs.

I have always wanted to make my own sauce but did not know how. Thanks for sharing how to do it. Iba kasi kapag masarap yung sauce ng fishballs di ba?

ces said...

both of you are so cruel! na-miss ko talga ang fishball..on a stick ha with that very yummy dip/sauce we have back there!:(
spiCes

MrsPartyGirl said...

i love the sayote bit, haha! anyway, fishball lover here, too. :) as i commented on jay's entry, i tried making those fishballs here, dahil miss na miss ko na talaga! pero ewan ko ba, mas masarap pa rin talaga pag may kasamang alikabok at usok ang fishballs, hehehe.

On A Stick
School of Fish

Bang said...

this.... I LOVE!!!!!!!!!! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Jenn, the Foodie


I come from a family who loves cooking and eating. I never had any formal training in cooking and that I taught myself how to cook based on the handed down recipes, but I could say that I can cook good food. In 2008, I started documenting my food trips for my travel blog, and since I have quite enough to start a food blog, might as well put all those food trips in one location. Thus, a food blog is born - thanks to the new Friendster Blogs. However, due to several problems, I was left with no choice but to pack bags again and move here instead. Here's the permanent address, promise! Enough talk, let the food trippin' begin! {Know More About Me}